I like Barack Obama, but I hate this bullshit. Today the president told workers in a Kansas City plant that the economy is improving, and Republicans need to either help or get out of the way.
I have no problem with the Republican part (Lord, is it true), but how, exactly, is the economy improving? In jobs? Nope. In spending? Nope. How? Show me numbers, Mr. President. Show me something. Anything. but it has to be real.
For some reason, people become president, then turn into gross exaggerators. Last month, the president spoke from the Oval Office and told us the Gulf of Mexico will be left cleaner than ever, post-oil spill. Know what? That’s friggin’ impossible. At best—at absolute best—the skimmers will eventually gather 30% of the oil. That leaves 70% floating around, going here, going there … forever. It won’t be eliminated, it won’t float away. It’ll just gather, and damage, and taint.
That’s the apparent truth, just as it’s true that our economy sucks, and it mired in suckage.
Do I blame this on Obama? No. Do I blame it on Bush? Largely. But it matters not. Because—fair ot not—people elect a president to get things done. And right now, we’re stuck with financial ruin and a Gulf coated in hell.