So I’d like to congratulate the five winners of yesterday’s jeffpearlman.com book contest. They are:
• Mark Mortier
• Jonathan Joyce
• Daniel Nemchek
• David Anderson, Jr.
• Darryl Wong
Thanks to the Mark Weinstein at Skyhorse Publishing, you’ll all be receiving a copy of Bob Wolff’s new book, Bob Wolff’s Complete Guide to Sportscasting: How to Make it in Sportscasting With or Without the Talent.
Here are the answers:
1. Name all the men who have served as Van Halen’s lead singer.
A: David Lee Roth, Sammy Hagar, Gary Cherone
2. The 1986 New York Mets featured two men who once played for the Detroit Tigers (before coming to New York). Who were they?
A: Howard Johnson and Tim Corcoran
3. Name the only team in professional sports history to include two future state supreme court justices.
A: Chicago Bears of 1978-81 (Bob Thomas and Alan Page)
4. Rank in height order: Mike Lupica, Emmanuel Lewis, my mother, Spud Webb
A: Lewis, my mom, Webb, Lupica (shortest to tallest)
5. Who replaced Steve Garvey as the Dodgers full-time starting first baseman?
A: Greg Brock
6. What NFL team originally drafted Doug Flutie?
A: Los Angeles Rams
7. Name the USFL team that started two Heisman Trophy running backs together? And who were the players?
A: Jacksonville Bulls—Archie Griffin and Mike Rozier
8. What New England journalist famously knocked out an NFL player in a lockerroom confrontation?
A: Will McDonough cold cocked New England’s Raymond Clayborn
9. How did Shannon Hoon die?
A: Cocaine OD
10. What’s the first listed ingredient in Coca Cola?
A: Carbonated water
• Bonus tie-breaker: Name the montage song after Rocky’s wife tells him “You can’t win!” in Rocky IV.
A: No Easy Way Out by Robert Tepper