Watched an unusual amount of football yesterday. Rare for me, what with two kids and busy weekends. Hence, for no good reason, here’s my ranking of who I’d most want as my starting quarterback in 2010 …
1. Peyton Manning, Coltsâ€”The best by a wide margin.
2. Drew Brees, Saintsâ€”Awfully good.The Chargers would have long regretted not retaining him, but …
3. Phillip Rivers, Chargersâ€”… is almost as impressive.
4. Tom Brady, Patriotsâ€”Not as amazing as he once was, but his receivers are top heavy.
5. Brett Favre, Vikingsâ€”Hate to admit it, but the guy has been amazing.
6. Kurt Warner, Cardinalsâ€”Has locked up a space in Canton.
7. Donovan McNabb, Eaglesâ€”I’m so tired of this guy getting s*** on.
8. Carson Palmer, Bengalsâ€”Don’t be surprised if he sneaks them to Miami.
9. Matt Ryan, Falconsâ€”Not having a great year, but he’s got it all.
10. Matt Schaub, Texansâ€”Looks like the real deal.
11. Ben Roethlisberger, Steelersâ€”Has been let down by his team and a receiver (Santonio Holmes) who plays at 70 percent.
12. Tony Romo, Cowboysâ€”I don’t blame him for their demise.
13. Aaron Rodgers, Packersâ€”Surrounded by mediocre talent. Impressive dude.
14. Alex Smith, 49ersâ€”Maybe I’m on crack … but I like this guy a lot.
15. Joe Flacco, Ravensâ€”Cool, calm Blue Hen.
16. Kyle Orton, Broncosâ€”Jay Who?
17. Eli Manning, Giantsâ€”A monumentally overrated NFL player.
18. David Garrard, Jaguarsâ€”Meh.
19. Vince Young, Titansâ€”Welcome to the grand illusion.
20. Matt Hasselbeck, Seahawksâ€”Going … going …
21. Jason Campbell, Redskinsâ€”There are enough flashes here that maybe, just maybe, he can be the next Dave Brown.
22. Matthew Stafford, Lionsâ€”Hard to judge, because they suck. But brotha’s got guts.
23. Mark Sanchez, Jetsâ€”I’m not feeling him. But, thanks to Kellen Clemens, he now looks like Joe Montana.
24. Chad Henne, Dolphinsâ€”Could leap up this chart in 2010.
25. Bruce Gradkowski, Raidersâ€”This should be an INCOMPLETE. But based on his track record, I have a hard time seeing his success are real.
26. Brady Quinn, Brownsâ€”Will make a fine backup for years to come.
27. Matt Cassel, Chiefsâ€””Dear God, please tell me this whole thing is just a bad dream …”
28. Josh Freeman, Bucsâ€”Yesterday was my first time seeing him in an NFL game. Has all the attributes of a young Jack Thompson.
29. Jake Delhomme, Panthersâ€”Remark. A. Bl. Y. Bad.
30. Jay Cutler, Bearsâ€”The worst type of professional athleteâ€”reads his clippings, gets a huge head, treats people like dung … then sucks.
31. Ryan Fitzpatrick, Billsâ€”Has played OK. But Harvard pedigree speaks poorly.