… but weren’t.
My Top 5:
1. Spencer Dunkley—I was a young, dumb Delaware student, and I’d watched ol’ spence dominate in the post against Drexel and Northeastern too many times. He was drafted by the Indiana Pacers, but didn’t last. Nice, long European career.
2. Alex Smith—Honestly, I was pretty convinced this guy was gonna light up the league. He’s been brutally bad in San Francisco.
3. Blair Thomas—When the Jets drafted him, I knew the team’s fortunes were turning. I was right—they turned worse.
4. Dennis Hopson—Basically my Blair Thomas for hoops. The Nets supossedly took the best pure baller in the Draft. He was, unambiguosuly, terrible.
5. Josh Beckett—Let me explain: Beckett has had a very good career. Maybe even a great one. But I thought he was going to be one of the all-time stupendous pitchers the game had ever seen. Instead, he’s just an above-average, more-than-solid major league starter. Shocked me.